Blogger That

Friday, October 29, 2004

Need For Speed: Underground 2 - Demo

The demo for Need For Speed: Underground 2 has been released at FilePlanet (amongst other sites, I'm sure). I downloaded it last night and had a play... here are some brief thoughts:

Graphics are nice enough. They seem fairly realistic, I like them, and the headlights etc are quite nicely done. No real beefs here.

Damage modelling: As in the previous game, frustrating none! It's very annoying to crash head on into an oncoming car and have both cars bounce a little but otherwise remain unscathed. Of course, I know the reason why (games with licensed real-life cars such as NFSU usually have the license to use the car model given on the condition that their car is not damaged. For instance, in the demo, the only drivable car is the Nissan 350Z. Nissan would not have given the rights to use that model if player could turn their nice car into an unrecognisable flaming twisted wreck). It's still incredibly frustrating, though, ESPECIALLY in light of the more realistic graphics, etc.

Handling: I dunno, I'm not much of a car game (or car) enthusiast, but it seemed a bit frustrating... sometimes I would turn okay, but others it would be too much or not at all. Weird. Could have been something to do with the "Handling Control" or some such setting.

Game modes: You get a limited go at the 'explore' mode, where most bits are blocked off, and I can't really figure out much to do that's interesting. You get a track each for 'quick race' and 'drift' modes. I prefer the drift, although my fingers ache after playing that one for a while. My top score was finally remotely respectable at 89,659. Can you beat that? (Yes, of course you can).

That's about it for my thoughts on that. Has anyone else tried it?

Oh, and Neil's post about a brain in a dish controlling a flight sim is also very cool. Read the article and shudder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home